Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

May 2010

Phasor

Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 03:54
Found the link on "Hack A Day" and am in awe (and getting a Sinclair flashback). Good work!
Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 04:08
Very impressive.
Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 04:21
I've worked in broadcast video technology and micros since the late 70's, and I have to admit that any broadcast technology manufacturer would hire you in a heartbeat. Your understandng and respect for the timing and fundamental technology is well worth the reward. Congratulations on a great example of persistence and quality.
Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 08:23
.....WOW!
Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 09:15
That is amazing! I take my hat off to you sir.
Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 10:29
Me recuerda la antigua demoscene cuando en menos de 64Kb se metía un archivo de música .MOD y una animación como la tuya. ¡Fantástico!
It is remenber me the 80's years demoscene: 64Kb are enough to the music in .MOD file and the animation like the yours. Amazing!
Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 14:29
Dude, you deserve the deepest respect. This is beyond cool, it's mindboggingly awesome. Keep that up!
Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 14:45
Unbelievable.
Thank you for sharing this.
Jeroen Tel and Rob Hubbard would be proud!

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 17:40
No, why in the world should we have syntax highlighting?
Do you color an 'F' differently from '6'? Just imagine how this would look:
38D2F4672B1AA9

You ARE writing code in machine code, right lft?
Using an assembler or compiler would be waaay to 'easy'.
Like driving a bicycle with training wheels.

Leaky redaction

Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 17:53
A clever trick indeed, but there's no way that code would pass a code review at any serious company in the real world.

Phasor

Anonymous
Sun 2-May-2010 22:07
absolutely awesome!

The Swan

lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 3-May-2010 06:08
I'm curious, what do you think would be the absolute minimal platform that would perform (with voice) "Daisy Bell" originally sung by IBM 7094 in 1961?

Really interesting idea! I'm putting that on my list for now. =)

lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 3-May-2010 06:17
Using an assembler or compiler would be waaay to 'easy'.
Like driving a bicycle with training wheels.

A high-level programming language adds power by allowing you to express complex ideas concisely. Training wheels remove power by replacing a hard job with a superficially similar but easier job. It's like taking an acting class in order to become an engineer.

Leaky redaction

lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 3-May-2010 06:24
A clever trick indeed, but there's no way that code would pass a code review at any serious company in the real world.

I live in the real world, actually, and the correctness of your statement clearly depends on what qualifies as a serious company. You must think most of them aren't.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Tue 4-May-2010 08:36
Wonderful article! I never learned much about unix process stuff (apart from little practical things like piping, detaching, killing, etc), but now I feel like I'm starting to see what's behind the magical terminals! Thank you :)

Beagleboard no-pop hack

Anonymous
Tue 4-May-2010 16:52
Hi!

Thanks for the tip, but how do you apply the patch? (I compil my own kernel with Open Embedded for a BeagleBoard)

Olivier

Phasor

Anonymous
Wed 5-May-2010 04:00
I was directed here by a comment in the Arduino forums; amazing doesn't begin to describe this work! WOW!
Anonymous
Wed 5-May-2010 23:37
Linus, Would this be possible on NTSC or no because of the phase alternation?

The remote control project

Anonymous
Fri 7-May-2010 11:26
Hi.

If you have problem with a potentiometer, for that usually helps to put some oil to inside potentiometer. I used oil many times and it works, I usually use for example WD40.

Beagleboard no-pop hack

lft
Linus Åkesson
Fri 7-May-2010 16:22
Hi!

Thanks for the tip, but how do you apply the patch? (I compil my own kernel with Open Embedded for a BeagleBoard)

Olivier

You could use patch(1), e.g.:
patch my_kernel/sound/soc/soc-core.c path/to/no-pop.patch

Or you could use a text editor and do it manually, since it's such a small change.

Phasor

lft
Linus Åkesson
Fri 7-May-2010 16:25
Linus, Would this be possible on NTSC or no because of the phase alternation?

No, unfortunately it won't work on NTSC, since it doesn't do phase alternation. You'd only be able to get the subset of colours where U = V.

The remote control project

lft
Linus Åkesson
Fri 7-May-2010 16:26
If you have problem with a potentiometer, for that usually helps to put some oil to inside potentiometer. I used oil many times and it works, I usually use for example WD40.

Thanks for the tip! It may come in handy.

Anonymous
Sat 8-May-2010 23:46
I agree that people should consider "taking the red pill", but for a different reason. I don't believe that syntax highlighting affects the understanding of code in any way (i.e. not better, and not worse).

However, I do believe that people tend to become too dependent on their specific environment. Today people are completely dependent on having bash, colorls, vim/emacs with all their own specific plugins and configuration files, etc.

Give someone who, supposedly, feels at home with Unix a system with no more than a traditional /bin/sh, the simplest form of ls and nothing more than vi, and they moan like they've been ordered, by their mom, to clean their room before they can go out and play.

I don't mind having all the bell's'whistles, but I also use the most basic of tools (ed, ftw!) from time to time, because I don't want to have to waste an hour setting up "my" environment if I need to do something with a system which is new to me.

I'm impressed with some of the vim hacks I've seen. But I'm honestly even more impressed by people who can function at full capacity without them.

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Mon 10-May-2010 20:25
can anyone explain how the output wave is generated here? pwm or just port toggling?

Phasor

Anonymous
Tue 11-May-2010 11:17
It is impossible! I know AVR over 12 years in any detail, but this must surprise me. Congratulation.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Wed 12-May-2010 01:00
"daemonizing" a process - detaching from the tty - would probably also fit here. -rurban
Anonymous
Thu 13-May-2010 01:17
What does TTY mean?

The hardware chiptune project

lft
Linus Åkesson
Thu 13-May-2010 15:32
can anyone explain how the output wave is generated here? pwm or just port toggling?

By writing PCM samples directly to the port. The port pins are then connected to an R-2R ladder DAC.

The TTY demystified

lft
Linus Åkesson
Thu 13-May-2010 15:33
What does TTY mean?

TeleTYpe.

Phasor

Anonymous
Thu 13-May-2010 18:33
I'd like to know what kind of software do you use to design the breadboard layout and the printed topology.
Anonymous
Fri 21-May-2010 10:45
I'd like to know what kind of software do you use to design the breadboard layout and the printed topology.
lft is using PostScript. See his comment, dated Tue 5-Aug-2008 05:41, on his page for the Craft project.
\ViktorB
Anonymous
Sat 22-May-2010 17:35
lft is using PostScript. See his comment, dated Tue 5-Aug-2008 05:41, on his page for the Craft project.
\ViktorB
Thank you for your answer Viktor. I studied craft.eps file, but it doesn't seen to be an interactive method to design something. I think it is good only to store electronically a manually designed plan. I hoped that is there any really designer program for this purpose like PCB designers for example.
Zoli.

Linkstar, pagerank peddlers?

Anonymous
Wed 26-May-2010 12:49
The owner of a website I look after was recently contacted by them. There were several odd things about the approach offering $200/year for a simple text link and some accompanying text on a particular page. Firstly why would a supposedly UK based company be quoting rates to another UK entity in US dollars (ok I guess they deal with people all over the world so it may make sense to have). More significantly, why would anyone offer that much without even knowing how many visitors the page recieves, obviously they are only really interested in the search engines picking up the link.

Despite my reservations the site owner did pursue it further and recieved the details of the proposed ad and supposed client. The link was to a US based company, which makes no sense for a targeted ad on a UK website, especially one which is specifically targeted at a fairly small local area. In addition the proposed extra paragraph of text to go with the text link had at best a tenuous relevance, and came with a disclaimer that it had been translated from chinese (which showed) and might want ammending slightly. Initial investigation of the site gave no great cause for concern, except it's obvious lack of relevance to users of our site, confirming that it was only really intersted in boosting search engine rankings. Closer inspection however showed that Adblock plus had blocked two items for atdmt, clearly it is this malware that they are actually trying to spread.
I have no idea if the supposed client is aware that their site is being promoted and used in this way.They may be fully aware and complicit, or more likely they have been hacked or may unwittingly just think they have signed up for a site promotion scheme.
Needless to say I have informed my client that I will not even consider allowing this ad to be placed on his website.

Phasor

Anonymous
Fri 28-May-2010 12:52
\ViktorB
Thank you for your answer Viktor. I studied craft.eps file, but it doesn't seen to be an interactive method to design something. I think it is good only to store electronically a manually designed plan. I hoped that is there any really designer program for this purpose like PCB designers for example.
Zoli.
No, as far as I know lft, he's coding it by hand. You should give it a try yourself, it's fun! \ViktorB

Beagleboard no-pop hack

Anonymous
Fri 28-May-2010 14:22

lft wrote:

Hi!

Olivier

You could use patch(1), e.g.:
patch my_kernel/sound/soc/soc-core.c path/to/no-pop.patch

Or you could use a text editor and do it manually, since it's such a small change.

Thanks you!

Finally I used an other way : I copied the patch into openembedded/recipes/linux/linux-omap-2.6.31/beagleboard/ and I added file://no-pop.patch;patch=1 to SRC_URI_append_beagleboard on openembedded/recipes/linux/linux-omap_2.6.31.bb

Olivier