Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

May 2014

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Sun 4-May-2014 00:03
I have written a terminal emulator for my own use and one of its features is that it ignores requests to change colours. So my terminal shows nice, consistent text no matter what the programs I run think the colours should be. It does, however, support bold and underlined text as I find those are less often abused and are less distracting.

Another point that came to mind about syntax highlighting in particular is that I use different programming languages and I look at diffs and grep output, for example, and other variants of texts. It would be silly to try and find consistent colouring rules for all the ways I have of interpreting text.

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Sun 4-May-2014 03:57
Hi Linus,

Great work!

Any updates? (any chance for a rough BOM, some more pictures, another demo video, source code)

This thing looks like so much fun.

Anonymous
Sat 10-May-2014 13:38
Sorry, but I disagree. It's a real productivity booster (personal preference: Emacs).
WRT training wheels, I might just as well put up an argument against use of power tools.

Zeugma

Anonymous
Sat 10-May-2014 15:58
I'd love to try this but am confused about how to load the z-file into the C64. I assume I just copy the file onto a floppy (or D64)? I know it is probably screamingly simple, but has anyone written a step-by-step guide on the whole process? Ideally I'd like to try this on a Win-based emulator like VICE or CCS64.

Anonymous
Sun 11-May-2014 19:15
Rather than comparing syntax-highlighted code to syntax-highlighted English prose, it would make more sense to compare it to a syntax-highlighted set of step-by-step instructions. I've seen many instruction manuals that highlight the verbs and/or key nouns in each step.

Specular Highlight

Anonymous
Thu 15-May-2014 10:41
Hey Linus, beautiful work!

radiantx
Martin Evald
Sun 18-May-2014 16:31
What about semantic highlighting? https://medium.com/programming-ideas-tutorial-and-experience/3a6db2743a1e

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Mon 19-May-2014 00:46
love to love you baby

(fortune cookie)

Anonymous
Mon 19-May-2014 09:15
I agree; I don't like all that fancy animated stuff and so on that they like to put in modern computers. For one thing, omitting it would shorten and speed up the program.
The only thing non-engineers care about are the visuals.

Tracking down the ^Z problem in vim

Anonymous
Mon 19-May-2014 11:29
From within vim, I will use :make or :shell - what is the advantage of ctrl+Z?

Specular Highlight

Anonymous
Tue 20-May-2014 06:56
great tune and I really like the old school arcade effects.