Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Jan 2011

About me

Anonymous
Sun 2-Jan-2011 08:34
That's really good! Wish I heard this in the 80's... I haven't heard this b4! --- cam at stotz.us

lis6502: hi dude. I really admire you. You programing skills, electronics and stuff. But most of them i really admire your chiptracking skills. The 'Hardware chiptune' which i heard on youtube was so unique, unlike other chips, that i had to make an XM remake of it :D http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=168134 <-check this out plox and tell me how can i make it better.
XMPP:[mynick]@jid.dug.net.pl
Mail:[mynick]_on_gmail
IRC:[mynick]@irc.upnet.org.pl#autom8 {preferably XMPP}
Keep up good work, greetingz from Poland;)

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Sun 2-Jan-2011 18:31
I find this silly.

Syntax coloring makes code more read-able.
You need to be able to read code before you can even understand the content, and programming languages don't usually read like natural languages, but very differently - your failed attempt at reduction ad absurdum using the exmaple of a fictional, natural language text shows that you don't understand this.
You should observe it in yourself, if you are aware enough of such things, that your brain kind of switches operational modes from reading comments in your source files, and then understanding actual code, from one second to another.
Lots of same-colored text forces you to read source code like natural languages, which makes it quite tiresome - at least compared to how I read source code and probably many others, which works much quicker than text reading, maybe your brain works differently.

Also, through different coloring, I need to type less spaces ^^
Which is probably bad should a color blind person ever read my source code, but then he could engange some auto format features of which there are plenty in many IDEs.

Your using of a pretty weird / bad coloring scheme (I'm not referring to the number of colors used, I guess I use no less) here gives an impression of dishonesty, but maybe that was just exaggeration for fun.

With horror I remember the days of monochrome IDEs in MSDOS. Yuck.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Thu 6-Jan-2011 10:46
Good article.Thanks you very much

/Renjith G

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Fri 7-Jan-2011 17:58
I want one. :D
Sincerely,
Ignacio/honorabili
Anonymous
Sat 8-Jan-2011 05:20
I think I'm in love .... With YOU!
Anonymous
Sat 8-Jan-2011 08:35
Thanks. Please make this open source, it has great potential.

Triple fugue #1

Anonymous
Sat 8-Jan-2011 19:56
I am a teacher and would absolutely love to have this written out in notation to teach to my students. I think it would be a fun piece for them to learn. Is there a place where you have this posted or for sale?

Making the Chipophone

Anonymous
Sat 8-Jan-2011 21:30
Excellent mod. The light bulb and photoresistor arrangement in your expression pedal was extremely common on expensive analog audio equipment. At the time it was the only way to provide an inexpensive noise-free variable resistor. I have a cache of salvaged dials and sliders and other devices like that which work that way. These were used on studio mixers, for example. The same arrangement of bulb+photoresistor is used to provide electrical decoupling of audio gear. The inputs on high end mixers would often be a 1V light bulb attached via a metal tube to a photoresistor. Very clever and very effective.

Reliable synchronisation of cog PLLs

Anonymous
Tue 11-Jan-2011 03:13
1. Ensure the sync_cnt delay is large enough for the initial 4096 PLL clocks to expire ...

FWIW, there are *no* initial 4K cycles to expire. The initial delay (after power up) is specific to propeller chip and chosen cog simply because the frame counter isn't reset. Subsequent delays are based on what was in the frame counter when the cog is stopped or the video h/w is switched off manually. Note that the frame counter keeps it's state across cogstop and even short periods of power loss.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?128148-Ideas-or-theory-on-odd-problem-related-to-spin-program-startup&p=963147&viewfull=1#post963147

kuroneko

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Tue 11-Jan-2011 03:59
here is an interesting port of this code to arduino,
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1265488118
tested it and seems to work.

Excellent code linus :)

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Wed 12-Jan-2011 13:12
this article is very good .
now i have a question.
linux use /dev/console in booting before the init called . so i write a progrm that run after kernel booted and pass my progrm with option init in boot parameter and bypass init program so the first program that run is my program.
this is my question : how i correct my program to resive signels from /dev/consoole?

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Fri 14-Jan-2011 00:46
Fy faen så bra!
Særlig rockman <3

(foto)

Anonymous
Sat 15-Jan-2011 04:12
Hello, I stumbled upon your sight after seeing it referenced in a footnote to the wikipedia article on Fratres by Arvo Pärt. Although I cannot read Swedish your site seems very interesting, and well I guess my main point is this photo is beautiful! Where was it taken if you don't mind me asking?

Fratres

lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 17-Jan-2011 16:06
I just want to extend my heartfelt thanks for this beautiful rendition of Fratres. I would actually rank it right behind Shaham's interpretation (which I admire more than the ECM recording with Kremer - a blasphemy, I know). The 8-bit sound suits the music perfectly.

Lukas from Prague

Thank you!

Triple fugue #1

lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 17-Jan-2011 16:13
I am a teacher and would absolutely love to have this written out in notation to teach to my students. I think it would be a fun piece for them to learn. Is there a place where you have this posted or for sale?

Hello! I do have a draft version in digital form. I'll try to find the time to add the final touches (currently in pencil) and post the complete score here.

Reliable synchronisation of cog PLLs

lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 17-Jan-2011 16:18
1. Ensure the sync_cnt delay is large enough for the initial 4096 PLL clocks to expire ...

FWIW, there are *no* initial 4K cycles to expire. The initial delay (after power up) is specific to propeller chip and chosen cog simply because the frame counter isn't reset. Subsequent delays are based on what was in the frame counter when the cog is stopped or the video h/w is switched off manually. Note that the frame counter keeps it's state across cogstop and even short periods of power loss.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?128148-Ideas-or-theory-on-odd-problem-related-to-spin-program-startup&p=963147&viewfull=1#post963147

kuroneko

Very interesting! For the purpose of synchronisation it doesn't matter, as we only have to cover the worst case, which is still 0 (4096). But it's a neat little side effect that could be exploited for e.g. copy protection if one were so inclined.

(foto)

lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 17-Jan-2011 16:22
Hello, I stumbled upon your sight after seeing it referenced in a footnote to the wikipedia article on Fratres by Arvo Pärt. Although I cannot read Swedish your site seems very interesting, and well I guess my main point is this photo is beautiful! Where was it taken if you don't mind me asking?

Hi!

This is the view from our bedroom window in the north-eastern part of Lund, Sweden. In the distance you can see the SonyEricsson head quarters and a residential area called Brunnshög.

Phasor

Smb123w64gb
Lucas
Sat 22-Jan-2011 05:42
Linus,

Your music in this was really good and was wondering if you can make this with out the video output but with an impressive sound output only and that other people can make and preform music on it.

Thanks for all the good work,and do you have Ubuntu Linux like me?

The remote control project

Anonymous
Sat 22-Jan-2011 08:39
Hi.i choose ur project so can u send me pcb layout of this project

If you have problem with a potentiometer, for that usually helps to put some oil to inside potentiometer. I used oil many times and it works, I usually use for example WD40.
Anonymous
Sat 22-Jan-2011 08:41
hi i choose ur project can u send me pcb layout of this project

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Sun 23-Jan-2011 21:39
Enhorabuena amigo, por tu trabajo. Es impresionante y me ha gustado.
Yo tengo un pequeño trabajo sobre cómo hice mi sintetizador, lo he descrito en este enlace:

http://www.hispavila.com/3ds/tutores/musica01.html

Sigue así, en tu propósito y gracias.
[Congratulations friend, for your work. It's awesome and I liked it.
I have a little work on how I made my synthesizer, I have described in this link:

http://www.hispavila.com/3ds/tutores/musica01.html

Keep it up, and thanks for your purpose.]

Making the Chipophone

Anonymous
Mon 24-Jan-2011 07:29
I found an organ donor as well.

Linus, is it possible you could release the source? I believe I can piece together the hardware fairly easily, but for the coding I'm just at a loss.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Tue 25-Jan-2011 09:19
Awesome article! Its been very helpful in understanding TTY layer as whole.

Thanks
Ambresh

Craft

Anonymous
Fri 28-Jan-2011 03:16
all I can say is WOW

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Fri 28-Jan-2011 12:20
How much?

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Sat 29-Jan-2011 14:58
Guys, maybe it's worth to send the idea to the http://quirky.com/ and start mass production?

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Sat 29-Jan-2011 15:17
Ingenious! Geni! Etc! Om du vill sälja den någon gång så finns kontaktuppgifter på http://www.adventurekid.se

Craft

Anonymous
Sat 29-Jan-2011 21:08
Amazing! It sounds exactly like AY8910/12 chip in famous ZX Spectrum.