Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Jan 2014

Making the Chipophone

Anonymous
Tue 7-Jan-2014 12:12
Absolutely amazing. Kudos on an incredible creation, my friend! -Tyler Larson (USA)

GCR decoding on the fly

chesterbr
Carlos Duarte do Nascimento
Tue 14-Jan-2014 05:43
Both the decoding table approach and the smart usage of undocumented opcodes are a great job, kudos. I've never thought of the "zero wins" as a side effect of NMOS, but once you said it, it all made sense to me, pretty much like understanding the Matrix! :-) Great article.

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Tue 14-Jan-2014 22:25
If I was highlighting music with colours, perhaps I would consider colouring repeat signs, tempo and phrasing markings, accents and section breaks. Colouring each note differently would be like colouring an int differently than a string. We don't do that in most code highlighting schemes. In the past in my music studies I would colour sections of music with the same theme in the same colour in order to aid memory, while that is different than the highlighting of code, there is indeed a valid use for highlighting in music. Also sometimes I will highlight the tonic of a scale to show it is special for my student's learning.
Anonymous
Mon 27-Jan-2014 13:36
Wow, I can't believe a programmer actually wrote this article.

Anyway, both syntax highlighting and indentation are what's called *secondary notation* in programming. Research has shown many times that well chosen secondary notation helps with program comprehension. In some cases (like indentation) the benefits are huge.
Anonymous
Thu 30-Jan-2014 12:02
Exactly my thoughts since the day I stumbled upon the first editor with syntax highlighting -- the first thing I did was turn it off, and I do it ever since. When I see a screen of code with a distracting mix of awful colors, I can't understand a single line of it.

And I agree on the exceptions too, mostly. My own IDE has exactly two cases for syntax highlighting: Comments and strings.

Apart from that, too bad that "Swedish law applies" to my comment. I may not even touch women in that case ;-)

Beagleboard VGA output

Anonymous
Fri 31-Jan-2014 01:31
Attach the following to each R G B signal at the connector to drive the signal low on each horizontal blank

.....10k ohm... |/---- Red (repeat for Green and Blue)
hblank... -/\/\--|
...................... |\ 2n3904 transistor
........................ |
...................... gnd

Fratres

Anonymous
Fri 31-Jan-2014 18:30
Thanks for the in-depth information on Fratres! I'm wondering if anyone else knows the version from William Orbit on his first released Pieces In A Modern Style album? The album was pulled from the market again only weeks after release because he couldn't get the rights for some of the pieces (among them Fratres and Gorecki's Pieces In The Old Style, which is a real bummer because they are the best). In any case you can listen that version here on Youtube http://youtu.be/sx26e01Q3no it's one hauntingly deep piece!

Btw: anyone happen to have a MIDI file of the arrangement (yes, i'm being lazy ;)