Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Jun 2015

Elements of Chip Music

Anonymous
Fri 5-Jun-2015 07:22
Cool intro to chiptunes!

I was wondering what is the name you give to channel oriented trackers (in opposition to pattern oriented). I hear something like "hyper trackers" but I'm not sure.
The question, if picky, is because I am in the process of searching for such software.

Thanks a lot!
lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 8-Jun-2015 06:26
Yes, the word I use is "hypertracker". The original definition of the term is here:
https://chipflip.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/soundtrackers-hypertrackers-and-acidtrackers/

Variation 18

lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 8-Jun-2015 06:30
What role do the oscillators play? Do they just visualise the output of the SID? (All three voices, then?)

Yes, the oscilloscopes visualise the output of each SID, i.e. three voices per oscilloscope. In parts of the music I have tried to distribute the sounds over the SID chips, so that each scope displays a single waveform.

Elements of Chip Music

Anonymous
Tue 9-Jun-2015 11:51
Great! You're awesome. Capo

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Sat 13-Jun-2015 21:52

lft wrote:

Bad behavior -- like smoking, shoplifting, or checking in code without unit tests -- should be made hard. Everything else should be made as simple as possible. Your own article confirms this.

Exactly. And making changes in code that one doesn't fully understand is bad, dangerous behaviour.

You don't dislike syntax highlighting because it makes it too easy for you to code, instead, you dislike it because you find your editor's fruit salad syntax highlighting distracting enough that it makes it _harder_.

But my point is that syntax highlighting makes it easier for us to dive in and fix the code before we understand it, because it encourages us to skim through the code on a superficial level. The syntax highlighting distracts us from seeing the forest by making it easier to see the trees.

I don't entirely disagree, but I find myself that syntax highlighting allows some part of the brain to parse the overall structure and find the part we need faster when we do already understand it.

I find it takes me longer to find what I need if the text isn't highlighted in a logical matter. I at least have been working with syntax highlighting so long, it doesn't distract me

Steve

Metrolled

Anonymous
Sat 20-Jun-2015 09:15
cool!

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Sun 21-Jun-2015 18:37
Just shut up and take my money.

The Symbolic Links Virtual Machine

Anonymous
Sat 27-Jun-2015 10:09
I did a poop in my pantaloons. It reeks of the bad smelly.